Funerals at St. John’s, Toorak, during the COVID-19 pandemic
UPDATE as at 15 December, 2021
Many people wish to farewell their loved ones at St. John’s and we are honoured to care for families wherever possible.
Currently, there are no restrictions in terms of numbers of mourners in the church or vaccination status. Masks, however, are mandatory indoors. Please ensure that you sign in using the QR code using your smartphone. If you do not have a smartphone, please ask someone to assist you with signing in electronically.
When a loved one dies, we want to provide them with the best possible occasion to say farewell and entrust them to God’s care. Please note the following:
- St. John’s clergy are available to conduct funerals at St. John’s church, at a funeral chapel, or at the graveside.
- Clergy can now meet with families in person to organise funerals.
- A requiem Eucharist is possible but the Eucharist is in one kind (bread only).
- It is possible to arrange for organ music at the service and possibly a small choir or soloist.
- You may privately arrange casket flowers and flowers for flower stands.
- Memorial services with no body present can also be accommodated for those who have recently died. In such cases a funeral director should be present to assist the clergy and family.
To organise a funeral at St. John’s, please speak first to a funeral director, and then contact the church on 9826 1434.
The Rev. Dr. Peter French