St. John’s has developed a comprehensive wedding package that arises out of the long experience of the parish in hosting the marriages of all manner of people, among them many celebrities and prominent Melburnians.
Baptism marks the beginning of a journey with God which continues for the rest of our lives. It is a first step we take in response to God’s love. For all involved, particularly the candidates but also parents, godparents and sponsors.
St. John’s Toorak has been the venue for many services celebrating the lives of all manner of people over a great many years. The staff at St. John’s are well used to preparing and leading services of this nature.
Welcome to St. John’s Anglican Church, Toorak
Sunday Services at St. John’s
8am (Holy Communion)
10am (Holy Communion)
Sundays at All Saints’ Kooyong
9am (Holy Communion)
466 Glenferrie Rd, opposite Scotch College
The Buxton Memorial Hall at St. John’s Toorak is available for hire as a location for drinks and canapes and finger foods etc. after a wedding and before the reception, for a wake following a funeral, or for after Baptims refreshments.
Children & Families
Children of all ages are always welcome at St. John’s.
On the first, third, fourth and fifth Sundays of the month (during term time) we hold Sunday School in the Kinder room. On the second Sunday of the month, the church service is Morning Prayer, and there will be children’s activities at the back of the church. These activities take place during the sermon and all of the activities supervised by adults who hold current Working With Children Checks. Parents are welcome to attend these sessions or to enjoy the service in the Church.
St. John’s also has a dedicated Children’s Corner, a safe and comfortable space for children and parents to enjoy complete with toys, books, comfortable cushions, and a quiet area for reading.
St. John’s kindergarten is situated in the beuatiful St. John’s church grounds at 86 Clendon Rd., Toorak, near the corner of Orrong and Toorak Roads. We are an Anglican kindergarten, funded by the government. A committee of management is formed by the parents and administers the running of the centre.
We offer a 3 year old and 4 year old program. We also offer extended hours for our 4 year old program.
For more information contact the kindergarten Monday – Friday during business hours on (03) 98261555.
The Revd Dr Peter French
The Revd. Dr. Peter French was ordained deacon and priest in the Diocese of Wangaratta in 1999 and served as Curate at St. John’s, Wodonga, as Assistant Priest at Holy Trinity Cathedral, Wangaratta, and then as Chaplain at Trinity College.
Ms Sally Robertson
Parish Administrator & PA to the Vicar
Sally manages the busy parish office and is also personal assistant to the Vicar of the parish. Sally handles all enquiries of a general nature.
The Revd Elizabeth Murray
Elizabeth Murray was ordained deacon and priest in Melbourne in 2016. Her first curacy was in Anglican Parish of the Parks - St Silas & St Anselm Albert Park, and she is now the Assistant Curate here at St John's.
Mr Christopher Cook
Director of Music & Parish Organist
Christopher graduated in piano & organ from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music in 1983 and has worked in the music and education professions variously as teacher, performer, conductor, musical director & more.
Mr Hanford Lam
WG Price Organ Scholar
Hanford is a piano student at the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music, Monash University. Hanford currently spends his time outside his music degree enriching the musical education of younger students, accompanying two fantastic choirs, and travelling.
St. John’s Toorak History
The foundation of St. John’s Toorak can be traced back to a meeting hosted by Mr. H. W. Dauglish in his Heyington Place home (now part of St Catherine’s School) in November 1859. It was resolved at this meeting to appoint trustees and commence subscriptions for the building of a church in Toorak. Within months one of the six trustees appointed at that first meeting, Mr. Alfred Ross, had donated sufficient land from his property ‘Orrong’ for the site of the church and over £1500 had been raised.
The newly appointed government architect, William Wardell, was contracted to build the new church, on its present site, in the early English Gothic style. Wardell also designed and built St Patrick’s Roman Catholic cathedral in East Melbourne. In April 1860 the Governor of the colony of Victoria, Sir Henry Barkly, laid the foundation stone and building commenced.
Following a delay caused by some difficulty in seperating the new parish of Toorak from the existing parish of South Yarra, St. John’s Toorak was opened for worship, again by Sir Henry Barkly, in July 1862. As the first vicar, the Revd Walter Fellowes, was still in transit from England, the first service was led by Dr Bromby, the first Headmaster of Melbourne Grammar School.
St John's Anglican Church
Get In Touch
Address: 86 Clendon Rd, Toorak VIC 3142
Phone: (03) 9826 1765
Parish Hours: 9am - 4.30pm, Mon to Fri